Tuesday, December 5, 2006

People, The Planet Killers...

Walking around Stockholm with a t-shirt and a light jacket in December made a little light-bulb go off in my head: Isn’t it a little warm here? A few beers later, the thought was out of my head, I left environmentalist mode and returned back to tourist mode.


Then, I went back to the splendors of Umeå, where it was absolutely tropical outside. Albeit depressingly dark, tropical nonetheless to the point I saw a dandelion in bloom.

Considering Umeå is located on the same parallel with Canadian cities such as Whitehorse, it made me wonder “Why the hell is it so warm? +10 and muggy"?

Then after looking into this fun little global warming issue, I came across an article headlined:

“Man Must Leave Planet”

Jesus. I’m surely no environmentalist, but let’s be honest here: We’re screwed.

Sure, people in places like Edmonton, Umeå or maybe Reykjavik are loving the few degrees of increased warmth throughout the winter. But how are these few degrees effecting places in Arctic regions?




Maybe I’m just stating the obvious here, but this is the first time the issue has smacked me in the face first hand. Growing up in Canada, my brother, sister and I used to watch the TV in the mornings waiting for the temperature to drop below -32C so the buses wouldn’t run and we wouldn’t have to go to school. That was only a decade ago, and there's not a snowballs chance in hell kids there are thinking the same way today the way we did back then.

That’s my rant. Global warming isn’t a sexy topic, but when there are talks of people needing to move to other planets, maybe it’s time to not just take notice, but change things up a bit?

And not the Kyoto kind of change..... although if these kids can challenge the accord, shouldn't governments really be able to put their heads together?